Plan Ahead for Packing
Normally, packers from a moving company can complete packing for an average move on the day before your goods are loaded on the van. If you are packing yourself, you should allow more time – several weeks if possible. Since it’s unlikely that you will be able to drop everything to devote an entire day to packing, plan to work at it between your other pre-move activities.
Preparing a convenient place to work and keeping your packing materials in one location are important. Staying organized will help you complete the packing job before moving day. If there is a spare room available, consider making it your packing headquarters.
A large table covered with a heavy blanket, quilt or mattress pad makes for a good, firm work surface. It is helpful to have a second covered table nearby for soon-to-be-packed items.
Items You Will Need
- Various sizes of sturdy boxes with flaps that can be closed completely.
- White paper, tissue paper, paper towels and unprinted newspaper cut into 20” by 30” sheets. These items are good for all-purpose wrapping and cushioning.
- Newspapers should only be used for cushioning or as outer wrapping only. No matter how old the newspaper, the ink always rubs off and can become imbedded in fine china if used for wrapping. When using newspaper, wash your hands frequently to prevent leaving ink smudges on items you handle. Although some ink smudges can be washed off, it’s better to not take a chance.
- Gummed tape for sealing packing boxes.
- Scissors and/or a sharp knife.
- Felt-tip marker for labeling cartons.
- Notebook and pen or pencil for listing contents of boxes as they are packed.
- Labels or stickers.
You may purchase packing boxes (including those for special uses, such as for dishes, mattresses and clothing), unprinted newsprint, tissue paper, bubble pack and tape from your moving company at a nominal charge. Holman Moving recycles packing boxes and offers our recycled boxes to customers free of charge. There is no charge for delivery to your home.